Brooklyn man convicted of killing Guyanese girl

first_imgA Brooklyn man was convicted of manslaughter Friday for shooting a high school girl who authorities said he wanted to date.Taariq Stephens, 26, quietly listened as he heard the late afternoon verdict on the 2016 death of 16-year-old Shemel Mercurius.Mercurius used her dying breaths to tell Police that Stephens was the attacker. HeTaariq Stephens and dead Shemel Mercuriusshot her with a submachine rifle while she was babysitting her three-year-old cousin.Trial testimony painted a chilling crime scene. Police kicked down the East Flatbush apartment door to find a blood-spattered boy crying, next to the dying teen.After three days of deliberations, Brooklyn Supreme Court jurors acquitted Stephens of the top charge of murder but found him guilty of manslaughter, criminal possession of a weapon and endangering the welfare of a child.He is scheduled to be sentenced Jan. 16.Acting Brooklyn District Attorney Eric Gonzalez said Stephens’ “sinister act cut short the life of a promising young girl and undoubtedly traumatized her toddler cousin. His deadly actions destroyed lives, left her family heartbroken and deeply hurt our community.”Stephens’ lawyer, Jay Cohen, said “it was a sad case all the way around.” (NY Daily News)last_img read more

DEMTOCO on ‘compliance drive’ for new tobacco laws – new MD

first_imgAfter months of back and forth within the Public Health Ministry, the Demerara Tobacco Company (DEMTOCO) is now on a ‘compliance drive’ in preparation for the new Tobacco laws, according to its newly appointed Managing Director, Christopher Brown.The Tobacco Control Act became law back in August 2017 after passage in the National Assembly and subsequent assent by President David Granger. The Public Health Minister was tasked with drafting the regulations that would guide the industry in implementing certain aspects of the new legislation such as ‘no smoking’ signs and packaging and labelling of tobacco products.But for months, DEMTOCO, a major player in the local tobacco industry, had been awaiting these regulations which the company needs in order to be compliant with the new legislation.However, Brown recently told reporters on the sidelines of a reception held toDEMTOCO’s Managing Director, Christopher Brownfamiliarise him with local stakeholders that the company has since been able to iron out these issues with the Public Health Ministry.“We have received those regulations and we have prepared all the requisite labelling and packaging arrangements flowing from those regulations that need now to be placed on our packs. That aspects of the regulations don’t come into effect until February 2019 so we are now in the process of producing, transforming and getting our packs compliant with those new regulatory requirements,” he stated.According the new Managing Director, while the company intends to wait until the 2019 enforcement date to release the new packaged products into the market, it has been, in the meantime, sensitising stakeholders on the new laws.“We have already sensitise our customers, retailers and wholesalers on how the new packs are going to look in terms of the graphic pictorial health images that are going to be on them and other matters that will change,” he noted.Ask whether stakeholders have a general understanding and acceptance of the changes that the new tobacco laws enforces, the DEMTOCO boss disclosed that there are still some uncertainties among citizens.“I think they have some concerns and they have questions, and that is why we’ve had discussions with them to educate them and advise them, and to hear their questions. And in cases where we ourselves cannot answer, we have our legal counsels, both locally and globally, to help us walk through those issues,” he added.Initially, DEMTOCO had some concerns with aspects of the draft legislation but since it has become law, the company is ready to be compliant.“We have put [our concerns] on the table already as it relates to the Government and we are not about to be in any confrontation on any issues. So we have accepted the legislation as is and as was passed, and we are working with all our stakeholders now to be compliant,” Brown posited.Moreover, the newly appointed Managing Director further outlined that the company is yet to see any impact on the volume of its sales because of the new tobacco laws.As part of the phased implementation of the new legislation, the Public Health Ministry initiated an aggressive education and awareness campaign to sensitise the public of the new laws.last_img read more

BC Senator has doubts about climate change, ahead of Climate Summit in Paris

first_imgFor the second time in as many weeks, Prime Minister Trudeau is overseas and on this trip is scheduled to meet the Queen at Buckingham Palace before attending a Malta Commonwealth conference, and the UN Climate Change summit in Paris.The trip follows this week’s meeting with 11 Premiers and Territorial Leaders which allegedly ended with unanimous support to curb greenhouse gas emissions, and an agreement to sit down in three months to work out details on a plan to hopefully rebrand Canada’s climate change image on the world stage.However, our Premier believes the Country doesn’t deserve the black eye it’s been getting on environmental issues, and feels the global oil sands focus has overshadowed the work the provinces have been doing to fight climate change.- Advertisement -Christy Clark says other countries attending the Paris summit might be a bit surprised to learn what Canada has been doing for the last few years, and she points to BC’s carbon tax as one example — calling it the best in the world.Meantime, BC Senator Nancy Green Raine is among those concerned the zeal some politicians have to be seen to be protecting the world risks bending our economy out of shape, and could lead to summit promises which will have unnecessary and negative economic impact.The President of the Science and Environmental Policy Project physicist S. Fred Singer is inclined to agree with the Senator, arguing because of natural influences, climate has been constantly changing — warming and cooling — for millions of years, and adding there’s no reason to believe these natural factors have suddenly stopped working, or will in the future.Advertisement Led by two American based groups, the Committee for a Constructive Tomorrow and the Heartland Institute, Dr. Singer is one of several world renowned ‘climate realists’ who will be part of a contingent at the UN summit in Paris.The global press is calling Cop-21 the last chance to convince the world’s governments to ‘solve’ the global warming crisis, but the opposition group will present globally accepted scientific data to try and prove there’s no human-caused global warming crisis to solve.last_img read more

Ballon d’Or announces women’s and under-21 awards

first_imgWhile 19-year-old Kylian Mbappe of Paris Saint-Germain is among the favourites to succeed Portuguese star Cristiano Ronaldo, a short-list of female footballers will be in line for the women’s equivalent and the world’s best under-21 players will vie for the ‘Kopa Trophy’.As with the Ballon d’Or, the women’s award will be decided by votes from journalists around the world.The Kopa Trophy, for the best under-21 player will, however, be decided by votes from the 33 previous winners of the Ballon d’Or including, among others, Denis Law, Franz Beckenbauer, Michel Platini, Jean-Pierre Papin, Marco Van Basten, Zinedine Zidane, Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo, France Football said in a statement.The finalists for all three awards will be unveiled on October 8.The Ballon d’Or is considered the oldest and most prestigious football award.FIFA’s own ‘Best’ award will be presented later on Monday in London, where Ronaldo, Mohamed Salah and Modric are the contenders.A World Cup finalist with Croatia and a Champions League winner with Real Madrid, Modric has already been voted last season’s best player by UEFA.Since 2008, Ronaldo and Barcelona star Lionel Messi have shared the last 10 Ballons d’Or, winning five apiece.0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Paris Saint-Germain forward Kylian Mbappe is among the favourites to win the 2018 Ballon d’Or. © AFP/File / FRANCK FIFEPARIS, France, Sep 24 – Ballon d’Or organisers France Football have announced the creation of awards for the top female footballer and the best under-21 player in the world.The awards ceremony for the 63rd edition, created and decided by the French football magazine, will be held on December 3 in Paris.last_img read more

Exclusive – Newcastle comeback only papers over the cracks, warns former defender

first_imgFormer Newcastle defender Robbie Elliott believes the club’s thrilling comeback 2-2 draw with Hull is only papering over the cracks at St James’ Park.With the pressure building on struggling manager Alan Pardew after a woeful run of Premier League form stretching back into last season, substitute Papiss Cisse struck a late brace to effectively spare his boss the sack.But Elliott, who enjoyed two stints on Tyneside totalling 11 years, told Exta Time: “Obviosuly the two goals at the end of the game have turned the result around but it’s only papered over the cracks.“It’s going to take more than a draw at home to Hull to sort it out.”A hostile atmosphere at St James’ Park was expected on Saturday, but for the most part Newcastle fans chose to back the team rather than turn on Pardew.And Elliott feels it will take something huge for the former West Ham manager to be sacked by owner Mike Ashley.“If he was going to get sacked it would have been last year when we had the bad run of results. Then he had the incident with the Hull player [Pardew headbutted David Meyler],” he added.“There’s so many opportunities where if it was going to happen, it would have happened. So I don’t think he’s under that much pressure at this moment in time, amazingly enough. They’re going to wait, try and get the results and get the season back on track.“If you look over the calendar year we’ve probably got the worst record out of the four leagues in terms of goals scored and points. If he was under pressure and the owner was looking for a reason to get rid of him, he’s had more than one opportunity.“So that makes you think the owner is going to stand by him unless it becomes totally untenable.”last_img read more

Real Madrid v Atletico Madrid live stream and confirmed line ups

first_img1 CLICK HERE TO STREAM LIVE COMMENTARY OF REAL MADRID V ATLETICO MADRID ON TALKSPORT, KICK-OFF 19:45Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid meet for the third time in the last four years in the Champions League, with the city rivals clashing at the semi-final stage.Real have prevailed in the last two European matches between the two, winning the 2014 and 2016 finals against Diego Simeone’s men.But though they have been better than Atleti domestically this term, there is a real belief this might be the year Madrid’s smaller side finally get the better of their dominant rivals.The Santiago Bernabeu plays host to tonight’s match, and you can follow all the action via talkSPORT’s live commentary – which you can listen to by clicking here.Confirmed line ups:Real Madrid XI: Navas, Carvajal, Sergio Ramos, Varane, Marcelo, Kroos, Casemiro, Modric, Isco, Benzema, RonaldoSubstitutes: Casilla, Nacho, Rodriguez, Kovacic, Lucas, Marco, MorataAtletico Madrid XI: Oblak, Lucas, Savic, Godin, Filipe Luis, Koke, Gabi, Saul, Carrasco, Griezmann, GameiroSubstitutes: Miguel Moya, Tiago, Torres, Correa, Thomas, Gaitan, Rodriguez Real Madrid v Atletico Madrid is LIVE on talkSPORT last_img read more

COMMUNITY ALERT: HAVE YOU SEEN THIS CAR STOLEN IN RATHMULLAN?

first_imgHAVE you seen this car stolen in Rathmullan on Saturday night (15th February).It was taken from a premises beside the Golden Sands Equestrian CentreIt is a BLACK TOYOTA YARIS with a northern registration number MNZ 6117 If you see the car please report it to the Gardai in Milford immediately. COMMUNITY ALERT: HAVE YOU SEEN THIS CAR STOLEN IN RATHMULLAN? was last modified: February 18th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:community alertRathmullanstolen carYarislast_img read more

SON OF JIMMY HARTE IN UNIQUE TRIBUTE TO HIS EMBATTLED FATHER

first_imgLochlainn and Jimmy Harte.A son of battling Donegal Senator Jimmy Harte is doing a marathon in his father’s honour.Lochlainn Harte is preparing to undertake the Paris marathon to raise vital funds for Dublin’s Beaumont Hospital where his dad has been receiving treatment.Father-of-four and fitness enthusiast Jimmy continues to make steady progress since his accident last year. The Labour Party Senator was returning home from a Republic of Ireland game when he had the accident.Son Lochlainn is now appealing for people to sponsor him in his bid to help support the hospital which is looking after his dad.Lochlainn said: “As you know, my dad Jimmy Harte suffered a severe accident in November 2013. Since that date he has been in Beaumont Hospital and the miracle workers there have brought him back to life in my eyes.“Dad is an avid runner and marathon enthusiast but unfortunately it may be some time before he can run one again. “I am doing this marathon for him and for the saviours in Beaumont Hospital. I would very much appreciate your support in helping me to raise funds for this organisation.”If you would like to help Lochlainn raise as much funds as possible for Beaumont in honour of Jimmy, please log on here and done what you can.http://www.mycharity.ie/event/lochlainn_hartes_event SON OF JIMMY HARTE IN UNIQUE TRIBUTE TO HIS EMBATTLED FATHER was last modified: February 22nd, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Beaumont Hospitalfundraiserjimmy harteLochlainn HarteMarathonlast_img read more

COMPETITION: Win a Movie and Pizza deal at Eclipse Cinemas Lifford Strabane!

first_imgThe brand new Extras food counter has become a go-to area for moviegoers and visitors to at Eclipse Cinemas Lifford/Strabane this summer. Extras @ Eclipse provides extras that you would not expect in your average cinema. In addition to an elegant modern sit down area, cinema viewers can now enjoy gourmet hot dogs, pizza, loaded nachos, Italian coffee plus pastries that can be enjoyed in the cinema screens.Extras @ EclipseExtras @ EclipseExtras @ EclipseExtras @ EclipseExtras @ EclipseExtras @ EclipseExtras is also licensed to sell wine and offers an innovative idea “Pour @ the Pictures” where customers can enjoy wine in the cinema screen. This will be allowed at special advertised screenings. Follow Eclipse on Facebook for the latest Pour @ the Pictures events news. How would you like to experience Extras, courtesy of Eclipse Cinemas?Donegal Daily has TWO movie tickets and one pizza from Extras to give away this week.Click here to visit the Facebook post to enter the competition. T&Cs: Winner will be announced on Wednesday 15th August. Prize must be redeemed by 22nd August 2018.For all cinema times and bookings at Eclipse, visit http://eclipsecinemas.com/index.php?__site=LIFFORDCP  COMPETITION: Win a Movie and Pizza deal at Eclipse Cinemas Lifford Strabane! was last modified: August 13th, 2018 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:cinemacompetitioneclipse cinemas lifford strabaneextraslast_img read more

€700,000 ‘solid investment’ announced for Donegal Airport

first_imgAlmost €700,000 in Government funding has been approved to support operational costs at Donegal Airport.The funding was announced by Minister Joe McHugh, who said the Government investment of €688,922 in Donegal Airport at Carrickfinn is a solid investment and a real jewel of the north-west.“We have seen many reports of how precious the place is for tourism and putting Donegal on the map as it topped a poll for the last two years as the most scenic airport in the world. “Carrickfinn has beat off stiff competition from places in the Caribbean, the south of France and the Western Isles in Scotland to take the accolade.“And strong Government support like this continued investment is essential to keeping Carrickfinn ahead of the pack.“It also cements the work at the airport apron, air traffic control systems and safety that was funded with almost €900,000 earlier this year.“The investment will support operational costs including necessary safety and security but it also points to the value that the Government places on the role of regional airports in supporting tourism and business in the north-west. “Congratulations to everyone at Carrickfinn,” he said.The funding was approved under the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport’s Regional Airports Programme.€700,000 ‘solid investment’ announced for Donegal Airport was last modified: December 17th, 2019 by Dionne MeehanShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalDonegal AirportGovernment fundinglast_img read more